Saturday, March 4, 2017

Digital Blog Post #H- Chapter 9

Hi everyone!
I hope everyone is looking forward to spring break next week! I know I sure am :)
Reading throughout Chapter Nine in the textbook (Transforming Learning with New Technologies) I noticed that many of the technology tools they were stating are ones that I have used in the past, as well as, still using currently in all of my current classes.
Creative Commons Photo by Jim Hickcox 
The first concept I looked at was Powerpoint and Next-generation Presentation Tools. These are tools that I have grown up using, and what I see everyday while in class. I remember what the first "Document Camera" or overhead projector looked like. We used overhead projectors till I got to into high school until we were fortunate enough to switch over to Document Cameras (live savors). As a student I always wanted to sit no where close to the overhead projector because it was so big you could not see around it, but also close enough to the projector to see what the teacher was writing. Then at the end of the day everyone would volunteer to clean the transparency sheets, that was always a mess and the ink would eventually end up all over you. Now, no more mess! A teacher can have the document camera on their desk, away from impairing a students vision of the screen and be able to show anything they want under the camera. There are little limitations.
The second concept I looked at was "photo-taking and Movie-Making with Students". When I was in elementary school as a class we had the opportunity to put on the school news that aired on Fridays mornings. This was a huge deal, especially if you were able to be an anchor (one year I was lucky!). In order to be "on the news" you had to read up on current events, understand the technology that goes into putting on a news show, and how to work together.  I did a similar activity while in high school for my history class. It was a fun way research historical facts and then put it into a movie. Students are able to work hands on and in an engaging manner the more likely they will retain information. I still remember those activity and that was years ago.
Lastly, I took a look at "comparing Minimal and Multimedia Classroom Technologies". Since I grew up in a minimal multimedia classroom I remember making the science experiments to see how things grow, or how the water cycle happens and even drawing out posters to display in the classroom. Now there are endless ways technology can show science. Like stated in our text book students are able to create a water cycle and then use technology to film the cycle. There are endless possibility with technology and teaching science. It would have been so much fun being able to create the water cycle and add technology to the experiment. 

Below is a TedTalk given by Jessie Wolley-Wilson on Blended Learning and how she sees how it can transform the classroom and learning experience in a positive way.


I think that it is important to keep in mind that technology in a classroom is made to help the student expand their knowledge of a subject or concept. I think sometimes we can get caught up in the cool things technology does (and it is cool!), and we forget the main reasons why we are using is, which is to teach :) Technology is a fun and awesome way to learn, we just need to make sure students are still learning a subject more than the technology piece. 

Have a great spring break everyone :) 


References:

Hickcox, J. (2007, June 06). Overhead projector. Retrieved March 03, 2017, from https://www.flickr.com

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Rhodes, Mckenzie (2017, May 03). News. Created May 03, 2017, from www.ToonDoo.com

T. (2012, December 17). Blending technology and classroom learning: Jessie Woolley-Wilson at TEDxRainier. Retrieved March 05, 2017, from www.youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment