Thursday, February 23, 2017

Digits Blog Post #F- Chapter 10


The United States is a "melty pot". When I say melting pot people typically think of the diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, and they are right! But in our melting melting pot we also have those who have disabilities. In the classroom students come from many different backgrounds, speak different languages or those who have a learning disability,  have a harder time learning, understanding class concepts and communicating. This also makes teaching a "bit" more difficult and really minimizes a teachers time to tend to every students needs. Luckily we have this awesome tool called technology that gets more advanced everyday.
While reading through chapter 10 I had to take a double take when I saw one of the terms "Handheld Calculators". I could not believe that a text book would be talking about something so basic I use everyday, and probably take for granted. I have (and probably most of everyone reading) used a calculator since math came into the picture, if not I would probably still be in middle school stuck with my multiplication tables. UGH. Calculators aren't just for people like me stuck on their multiplication tables, but also for those that may not be as confident in their number operations and need to focus more on the mathematical concepts. There are ups and downs of calculators, while we should not rely on calculators it is a great tool for those who need to focus more on the big picture and not be stuck on smaller details.
                                                         Photo by Anssi Koshkinen on Flicker

Another concept I looked at was "Electronic Spellers and Dictionaries", Like stated it is great for all ages. I know I can always use a tool to help me with my spelling. The part I found most interesting was TERC, a signing dictionary for the deaf and hard of hearing. TERC is a software that has Math and Science dictionaries so students can learn through text and a signing avatar (Maloy p. 256). When I attended University at The University of Wisconsin River Falls I took Sign Language as my second my class. It was by far the class I felt like I got the most knowledge out of. Not only learning how to sign and finding out more about the lives of those who are deaf and hard of hearing, but also putting myself in their shoes for a few hours, since we could not talk. Now I do not want to compare my short time in a classroom to the hurtles the deaf and hard of hearing people go through every single second of the day, but it gave me glimpse. Having tools such as TERC opens so many doors for not only communication but for learning and job opportunities.
Lastly I looked at "Roles of Technology", I think that is a key term to look at and a main point of why we should always be considering using technology in the classroom. Technology is used for "minimizing the impact of disability and mazimizn the opportunity to participate in the world" (Maloy p. 252). With the use of technology we are able to meet our students needs and be able to give them the fullest education and life that is possible. I would never want to hinder a students education by giving them less to do if they are not able to finish at a time when their peers do. If anything I am making sure they fall further behind. But with the help of technology we can make sure that students stay on track and are able to keep up with their peers.

Below is a YouTube video about using Assistive Technology and finding what is most suitable for that student. There is more to the process than we may think at a glance.

Like I said before, the United States is a melting pot, and a melting of all different kinds of learners. It is important that we dig deep to find what technology assistive tool helps that student the most. We are lucky that almost every day a new type of technology come out that helps students over come barriers and flourish. With all the different types of learners and students it keeps teachers on their toes and always up to date on how they can help their students succeed and grow into their true potential.




References:

InspiringEducation. "Using Assistive Technology to Support Learning." YouTube. YouTube, 30 Jan. 2015. Web. 23 Feb. 2017. Www.YouTube.com

Koskinen, Anssi. "Calculator." Flickr. Yahoo!, 23 Nov. 2006. Web. 24 Feb. 2017.

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Rhodes, McKenzie. "Disability is not Inability." Canva. 23, Feb. 2017. www.canva.com

No comments:

Post a Comment