Monday, May 1, 2017

Final: Reflective Post

Hello Summer by McKenzie Rhodes From Canva
Hello Summer! Can I get an "AMEN" to that? Well, summer is only lasting about a week until my summer classes start... and probably rings true for most college students. But hey, we live in Florida, isn't everyday summer?
"Final Reflective Post", I remember looking through some blog posts form previous classes when the semester first started, and thinking "wow that seems like years away", yet we are here now! I came into this class in all honestly, a bit frustrated since I have taken this course title at a previous university, plus the fact that blogging was involved, and I assumed it was not in my blood. But, I was proven wrong and have learned way more than I did at my previous university, and actually really enjoy blogging and how it is a different and creative way to express thought process and ideas. 
Designed By Mckenzie Rhodes From Canva
I want to take a look at the quote that is in the picture to the right ---> by Albert Einstein, "Any fool can know. The point is to understand". I think it speaks so much truth into what this class was shaped around. We as students and ordinary people, use technology everyday. We know what technology is, and pretty much know what is out there. I also think that it applies to being a teacher, we know a lot of things being teachers, we know different types of technology to use in our classroom, different lesson plans, and different learning styles that individual students have, and so on. But to truly UNDERSTAND what all of those things are, is a whole different ball game. This class has shown me the vast differences in technology, and how something that I see as simple and everyday (such as an iPad) can drastically change the classroom and how students see learning. For example, a student with a hearing impairment can use an iPad, or a computer during class time to help enhance their learning, and also help communicate to students and teachers, and vis-versa. There are so many more examples of how technology is helping students with special needs or diverse needs, that is just one small example. I want to be able to understand my students, I do not want to simply know them. When I am able to understand who my students are, and where they come from, what makes them happy or sad then I know I am doing my job correctly. Being someone who can lift them up in their struggles and celebrate in their victories. 
I have posted TedTalks on my blog posts before, they have been comical, serious and informative. But, most of them are of adults speaking. I decided that since our bases is about using technology to help students, I wanted to hear from a student who is currently in the classroom where technology is being introduced daily in his learning. Below is a TedTalk from Ethan Dickens talking about technology in the classroom. ENJOY ⇣
My favorite part of the classes were the blog posts (obviously), but what came as my second favorite were the discussion boards. Online classes are challenging, especially getting to know your classmates and getting a firm understanding of what types of teachers they want to become and what their characteristics are like. Having the discussions was a great way to get that knowledge. So if there was one thing I would want more of if I took this class over, would be more discussions. I love to be able to hear and learn from people and get a different point of view other than my own.

To wrap up, I have learned a tremendous amount this past semester, that will carry on with me as being a student and onto my future career in the education system. There is far more information on technology and what it can bring into the classroom and everyday life, and we have just scratched the surface. It has been a great semester, Thanks everyone! Good luck ❤

Resources:

Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Rhodes, McKenzie (2017). Hello Summber. Created on www.Canva.com

T. D. (2015, April 02). Retrieved May 01, 2017, from https://www.youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment